Evil Rant #1- Why Villainy?

Comments and discussion on the "Evil Rant" section.

Moderators: FalseProphet, Vicious

FalseProphet
Overlord
Overlord

Post by FalseProphet »

Some people may ask "why would you want to call yourself a villain, isn't that a bad thing?" Even more will assume that I'm doing it because it sounds cool, or for financial gain. Although such a character may seem entertaining or iconic in fiction, if an individual in real life exhibited such ideas, goals, traits etc. they would be among the most taboo and demonized people in society. As for financial gain, I will be the first to admit that I am a very greedy person, however if making a profit was truly my only goal, than I would have chosen a different occupation (there are much larger market demographics than the one we're targeting).

The truth is there are two main reasons I've chosen this topic/title, because I enjoy it and because it's accurate. I've worked at many other jobs before and I can say with great certainty that there are few, if any, places which cater to my particular type of creativity and tendencies. I'm not just talking about the rampant mainstream ideals/morality (I would define myself as an anti-moralist), but also the lack, and general fear of, interesting or original ideas. Although, entertainment can be very edgy and intelligent, most people are not, and do not welcome it in everyday life. Co-founding this company is an attempt to create a more tolerable or, should I say, more ideal work environment.

The reason I refer to myself as a villain is simply because that's the term that best suits me. This was not an easy conclusion to come to, and required many hours of self evaluation. I guess you could say I was a monster who was not ready to come out from under the bed quite yet. However, in retrospect given my interest, personality, and general way of doing things, it seems so obvious. From my own dark philosophy, to the aesthetic I prefer, to the types of things which I enjoy learning about and studying, it all makes sense.

Since I was about thirteen I have loved dressing in black, but not in the kind of punk or goth sort of way. Growing up in the eighties, I used to watch movies with ruthless Wall Street type yuppies, which despite their moral flexibility and greed, always seemed intelligent and concerned with appearances. This seemed to be the ideal type of existence to me. I enjoyed reading anything which questioned or criticized many of the irrational ideas and beliefs so many people have, and I do seem to be naturally cynical toward the human condition (though I do believe people should try having more fun). I've always had a deep interest in animals (I worked as a zoo keeper for several years) but never the cute and cuddly kind, and I have a passion for scientific progress and technology. Paranormal and supernatural studies are also on my list of interests, as well as psychology, though, in case you haven't figured it out, I'm not what you would call a people person.

And of course there's entertainment, something which I have had a lifelong fascination with. An alternative, stylized, if limited version of reality. My love of entertainment was, due in no small part to the fact that the printed page and TV screen seemed to be the only places where my true opinions were reflected growing up. Which is, of course, one of my motivations for creating Twisted Jenius; the other being that, entertainment is probably the only venue in which I could hope to get away with this kind of crap.

The term villain seems to be the best preexisting word to sum up what I am and what I think. If this is the case, then I will proudly accept that title. The definition of villain is inevitably associated with evil, which is fine, that's how it should be. But I have a slightly different way of thinking about it; as an adversary to many of the standards and ideals which most people would consider good. However, it should be noted that most people are idiots, and not very interesting.

I have no intention of trying to make the world a better place, just my world. This "Evil Rant" page is a window into that world. If you are a fellow villain, I hope you find it enjoyable and informative (or at least an affirmation of your own views). And if you are not, then you will probably find these writings strange or bizarre, if not threatening and disturbing. But whether you find my opinions good or bad is irrelevant, as long as they're interesting.